Child Trafficking - The Unspoken Epidemic with Jan Edwards
I had been looking forward to talking with Jan on my show ever since I met her at the New Media Summit in Austin. I love that she saw a problem and decided to take action. If we all tore a page out of her book the world would be so much better. Here are some of the things we talked about:
- Do you know what human trafficking is?
- Would you notice?
- Would you do anything?
- How can you stop human trafficking?
- Is it happening to your children? In their schools?
- Does human trafficking involve kidnapping?
- How does it start? Who is doing the grooming and recruiting?
- How do you protect your kids? (hint start talking to them)
- What are the signs that a child is at risk?
Jan Edwards is the founder and CEO of Paving the Way, an organization committed to being a fierce disruption in the cycle of child trafficking around the globe. This is accomplished through educational and training programs that empower communities to break the cycle. Jan spent over 25 years as an executive in sales and marketing working with organizations like Time Warner, Bright House, the United Nations and other international groups, before taking on the worldwide initiative to prevent children from becoming victims of this silent crime. Paving the Way has educated over 5,000 children, teens and adults on over the past 20 months. Ms. Edwards has been featured in Huffington Post, Marie Claire UK, NBC and iHeart Radio as an expert in prevention and was recently awarded Humanitarian of the Year.
Jan is the writer, co-director and producer of the award-winning film, Trapped in the Trade, which was featured on CNN.
- Hotline in USA 888-373-7888
- Canadian site centretoendhumantrafficking.ca
When I met Jan and she told me about what she witnessed in Ethiopia around human trafficking she said she had to do something, because this wasn’t going to happen on “her watch”.
So my challenge to you this week...
Look at what is happening on “your watch” that you are doing nothing about.
You can listen to the full episode here: