Are you going to resent me talking about this??!!
I love a good dose of resentment!
When you resent something you can:
- Feel righteous
- Get to live in the past
- Get to tell the war stories of your past
- Get to feel powerful because after all they are the villain you are the poor victim
- We get to milk the situation and get sympathy from others
But as Malachy McCourt once said,
“Resentment is like taking poison and waiting for the other person to die.”
When we hold onto resentment you:
- Trade in your happiness for the “privilege” of being a victim
- Give up space in your day to day to someone who is probably not even thinking about you
- May be holding onto misinformation – it’s possible you took things the wrong way, missed sentence #2 because we were so stuck on sentence #1
- Prioritize hostility over health
- Bring that crap into the rest of your life like a poison.
Make a choice:
- Move on
- Ask for clarification
- Stay a victim
But be clear on the ramifications of your choices.